[Sca-cooks] Nonpareils? Dragees? Not the same thing...

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 9 16:48:20 PST 2002

Someone said that nonpareils (non-puh-ray) and dragees (dray-jees)
are the same. In my experience this is not so.

Dragees are hard little spheres that come in different sizes. Not all
of them are "inedible, for decoration only" metallic. There are also
dragees that are mostly sugar, come in a wide variety of colors, and
are edible, if relatively flavorless.

Nonpareils are flat or flattish discs of chocolate or some sort of
sugar-and-fat conglomeration that is colored. Some nonpareils are
larger and even have teeny weeny *edible* dragees on top, such as
dark chocolate with tiny white dragees or white with tiny
multicolored dragees.

Of course neither is quite like our Lord Stefan li Rous who is
without parallel and not a drag :-)

Anahita