Fwd: Re: [Sca-cooks] Butchering

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Thu Jan 10 07:14:07 PST 2002

>>It's not the local health inspectors that are the problem. It is that
>>the Pennsic rules now explicitly say that slaughtering of live
>>animals during Pennsic is forbidden. This was due to an unfortunate
>>incident which resulted in a wounded animal running amok through
>>part of Pennsic.

Ahhh, no one told me about that incident.  I don't particularly think it's
necessary to go to those extents, yet I certainly understand why one would.

I really am not that familiar with local hygiene boards in the different
states, or even in Illinois, though I know that in Canada, you just can't
slaughter anything that is to be sold unless it has been inspected.  <shrug>

>>When Phlip taught her class during Pennsic several years ago, we
>>made arrangements to do this offsite.

Phlip, I think you told me y'all had done a sheep or sumthin'?

>> > I'll cover small beasts, such as rabbits, chicken, duck, quails, and?
>>
>>That maybe a lot for one class.

Not necessarily.  All the birds are basically the same.  So it can go
fairly quickly.

>>  Is this going to be a hands-on class?
>>Or more of a demo one?

The kinks are being figured out as we speak.  I'd rather not go into
details quite yet, lest you come back with tons of questions.  My friend, I
ask for your patience, I'll give you the answers in a week or so with the
syllabus :-)

>>  I hope you will be making more announcements
>>here closer to Pennsic.

Sure thing, I can send regular SPAM about it :-)

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Kingdom of the Middle
aka