Fwd: Re: [Sca-cooks] Butchering

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Jan 10 12:41:40 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach said:
> >>It's not the local health inspectors that are the problem. It is that
> >>the Pennsic rules now explicitly say that slaughtering of live
> >>animals during Pennsic is forbidden. This was due to an unfortunate
> >>incident which resulted in a wounded animal running amok through
> >>part of Pennsic.
>
> Ahhh, no one told me about that incident.  I don't particularly think it's
> necessary to go to those extents, yet I certainly understand why one would.

I forgot to mention that I think the details of this incident can be
found in my P-hist-msg file.

> >>When Phlip taught her class during Pennsic several years ago, we
> >>made arrangements to do this offsite.
>
> Phlip, I think you told me y'all had done a sheep or sumthin'?

Yes, a rather mature male "lamb". Hence, the jokes about Ras' (lamb)
balls.

> >>That maybe a lot for one class.
>
> Not necessarily.  All the birds are basically the same.  So it can go
> fairly quickly.

Kind of hard to follow if there are a bunch of different animals
being butchered at once. Doing that one sheep took a fair amount
of time. I suspect doing this many animals in series, even with
an expert person doing all the actual work, would also take a fair
amount of time.

Well, at least with my digital camera I could take a series of
pictures and be able to review later what I miss or forget.

> >>  Is this going to be a hands-on class?
> >>Or more of a demo one?
>
> The kinks are being figured out as we speak.  I'd rather not go into
> details quite yet, lest you come back with tons of questions.

Moi? Tons of questions? :-)

> My friend, I
> ask for your patience, I'll give you the answers in a week or so with the
> syllabus :-)

Ok. I see. This is like some of those game shows. You give the
answers and we are supposed to come up with the questions... :-)

> >>  I hope you will be making more announcements
> >>here closer to Pennsic.
>
> Sure thing, I can send regular SPAM about it :-)

Yes, but I don't see pigs or turkeys in your list of animals, above.

Stefan