[Sca-cooks] chicken plucking

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Jan 10 12:06:54 PST 2002

Olwen said:
> >Ah, well, I hate doing poultry- I hate plucking the
> >things ;-)
> >
> >Phlip
>
> Hey Phlip, I'm really good with an automatic chicken plucker!  I can get off
> over 95 percent of the feathers without breaking skin!  Hate doing it by
> hand though.

So, how does a one-at-a-time automatic chicken plucker such as you
mention work?

What do you do if you don't have such a machine? And is this how
it was done in period?

What do you do with all the resulting feathers? What did they do
with them in period? I guess you could stuff pillows with them,
but I imagine there are other nicer feathers for this. But maybe
that just determined who would buy such items stuffed with
chicken feathers.

Thanks,
  Stefan