Butchering/slaughtering, etc (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Handling special diet n...

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Jan 10 17:47:54 PST 2002

In a message dated 1/10/2002 1:06:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
muiredach at bmee.net writes:

> I remember a student of mine (mind you, this was an adult), was
> flabbergasted to learn that the package of ground beef she bought at the
> store came from a live cow at one point...  <sigh>

My brother circumvented that with his children very quickly...as the 2 year
old was eating her meat, he told her what animal it came from and what it
"said".  For instance, by the time she was 2 1/2, if you asked her where a
hamburger came from, she would answer "cow" and if you asked her what her
hamburger said when it was alive, she would make a cow noise (not "moo"; her
grandfather raises cows and she does a very good imitation of the actual
sound a cow makes).  Admittedly, my brother has a very warped sense of humor,
but his kids know what meat was before it hit the styrofoam in the
supermarket.

Brangwayna Morgan