[Sca-cooks] rescruitment

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jan 10 20:41:41 PST 2002

Diana d'Avignon said:
> I have a few sites that I bookmark and show to
> prospective newbies - this one woman is also an
> awesome cook and she was so impressed with your work
> that she would like to try her hand at some marzipan.

I'd like to think that the Florilegium would be a good place
to point this perspective recruit. In this case, specifically
to the marzipan-msg file. With a mention that she might find
the NEWCOMERS section useful in finding out what we are about.

Unfortunately, it is not that flashy with a lot of fancy graphics
or even many drawings or photos. But if she is really into cooking,
she might find some of the food files interesting including the
various descriptions of the various feasts in the FEASTS section.

She might also want to look at the SCA website at: www.sca.org

> Now if I can only get her to send in an SCA membership....

Personally, my comment to the newcomers is that we aren't after
their money. We'd rather have them come for awhile, see if this
is something they are interested in and then pay the membership
fees for the benefits this provides, but more to help support the
organisation that helps put this together.

My recommendation is that newcomers put their initial money
towards a subscription of their local newsletter. This gives
them the information about when the local group is meeting, as
well as info on when various guild meetings and other things
are happening.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net