[Sca-cooks] Raw Fruits at Feasts

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 13 19:45:18 PST 2002

OK, so i checked the Florilegium, and found this intriguing fairly recent post:

-------

From: "Robin Carroll-Mann" <rcmann4 at earthlink.net>
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 18:31:11 -0400
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Raw vs. cooked foods, was: Period food myths

On 7 Sep 2001, at 12:53, Tara wrote:
>  However, I know of little menu documentation for *serving* foods raw,
>  which is why I generally avoid it in my own practice.

The _Arte de Cortar_ (The Art of Carving) by Enrique de Villena,
1423, contains instructions for carving various fruits and vegetables.
In many cases, he explains how to carve a particular foodstuff if it
is to be served raw. For example, carrots.

Villena was a courtier, and he was writing for the instruction of
gentlemen who would be serving in a noble household, so I think
we can take this as an indication that some fruits and veggies were
served raw in a formal dining situation.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom

-------

I want to know more! more! Any hints where i can find this book? Can
anyone post the parts about raw fruits?

Anahita