[Sca-cooks] Raw Fruits at Feasts

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 13 20:45:53 PST 2002

On 13 Jan 2002, at 19:45, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> OK, so i checked the Florilegium, and found this intriguing fairly
> recent post:

> The _Arte de Cortar_ (The Art of Carving) by Enrique de Villena,
> 1423, contains instructions for carving various fruits and vegetables.
> In many cases, he explains how to carve a particular foodstuff if it
> is to be served raw. For example, carrots.

> I want to know more! more! Any hints where i can find this book? Can
> anyone post the parts about raw fruits?
>
> Anahita

I got it via ILL.  It's a modern reprint (1948), in Spanish.  There
*used* to be a copy online at www.cervantesvirtual.com, but they
removed it, for reasons unknown.

I confess that I have given some thought to translating it, though it
would be a substantial project.  For one thing, the Spanish is a
century older than Nola, and harder to read.  I'll see about maybe
getting some of the fruit section done.

Does anyone know if the _Arte de Cortar_ (also known as _Arte
Cisoria_) is available in facsimile?

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net