[Sca-cooks] Ingredients for Arab spice mixture - (was Trying to find online spice sellers)

Susan Laing gleep001 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 14 20:06:42 PST 2002

I wrote : "Can anyone point me towards an online spice seller that would
have the following in stock - Spikenard; Betal; rose hips (Or dried rose
buds)"

And Anahita replied -
"Ah, ha, making atraf al-tib, i see"

Yes <grin> caught red handed! (or you will once I work out the recipe cause
I believe the end result is a red mixture...)

I've been trying to find some nice fish dishes to introduce to my Local
group (Baroney of River Haven - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) - it's one
area of food that's totally neglected here.

Thank you for the information about the Betal nut - I wasn't aware that it
was such an involved process to extract the juices!

I'm hoarding all the notes on this and will be hunting for ingredients after
Easter (we have our version of Pennsic down in the Sydney region then and
time & money will be tight until after it's all over)

Please let me (& the list) know if you discover the secret of Betal
extraction :-)

Mari