[Sca-cooks] raisin drink (wine?)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jan 14 23:05:17 PST 2002

Lady Katherine Rowberd said:
> Helewyse wrote:
> > This is in a park facility, so no intoxicants.
> > we figured the unperiod: water and ice.
> > White grape juice (substitution for wine)
> > Sankanjebum (or some other tea type thing)
>
> Hey, I found a new (to me) non-alcoholic drink in one of my books the
> other day.  The book is Epulario, a 1598 English translation of an
> earlier Italian text, and the recipe is "to turn water into wine".
> Basically it tells you to get raisins of the sun, grind them up into a
> powder (paste?), then put them in water.  Raisin juice!

Thanks. However, what makes you think this ISN'T an alcoholic beverage?

Does the recipe say to serve it immediately? I suspect that this
concoction would start fermenting pretty rapidly given that the
raisins will still have all the grape sugars and the outside of the
grapes, which should provide plenty of yeasts.

I might expect that it would only be lightly alcoholic, like some
of the period ales which were drunk young, rather than something
like today's wines.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net