[Sca-cooks] rutabagas, swedes and squashes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jan 14 23:11:15 PST 2002

Lady Katherine Rowberd asked:
> While we're on the turnip topic, perhaps someone could clarify for me
> what a rutabaga is?  Is it the same thing which we called a swede in
> Australia?

I think you can find some of our previous discussion, on exactly this
topic, in this file:
root-veg-msg      (87K)  6/29/01    Medieval and period root vegetables.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/root-veg-msg.html

> Also, on the topic of gourds and squash: can someone tell me a) what
> sort of squash (readily available in North America) is considered the
> best substitute for gourds in period recipes, and b) what it looks like
> externally, since the grocers seem to just pile the squash up in a big
> unlabelled heap.

Perhaps this file might help:
gourds-msg        (80K)  6/21/01    Gourds, pumpkins, squash. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/gourds-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net