[Sca-cooks] "Arte de Cortar" tangent

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 15 10:33:05 PST 2002

Hallo the list!

To pick up an earlier thread and run with it, the 1948 edition of "Arte de
Cortar" has some brief sketches of carving knives and other tools.  I've
been talking with a local knifemaker about possibly duplicating these.
Villena does give descriptions of each tool, but they're not as detailed as
might be.  The illustrations from Scappi and Cervio are helpful, but they
postdate Villena by about 100 years.

Does anyone know of any extant studies of period cutlery or carving sets?
I've got a reference for English cutlery, but I was wondering if there might
be some Spanish or Italian sources.  We're looking for data on length,
thickness, where the cutting edge is, that sort of thing.

As always, any info is most appreciated.

Vicente