[Sca-cooks] raisin wine

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Tue Jan 15 11:52:18 PST 2002

Margali said:
> > Too bad the only raisins I think I can get around here are those
> > from Concord grapes. This might be a fun project.

> Hey Stefan - most seedless raisins are made from thompson's seedless grapes
> [especially if they come from california ;-) Rob spent a fair amount of time
> living on a grape farm belonging to his mothers aunt and uncle.]

Yep. After I sent off my message, I continued reading the webpage and
they specifically mentioned Thompson's seedless grapes as the source.
I decided not to bother the list with yet another message
correcting my message.

I knew these weren't an Old World grape and that the Concord was a
New World grape. I guess it hadn't sunk in that there might be more
than one type of New World grape, not to mention hybrids which I
imagine the Thompson's is.

> If you really want, tweak me sometine before pennsic and i will see if i can
> get some orange muscat raisins for you to play with.

Okay, this sounds good. I doubt I can find those down here. Now that
I'm aware of it, I will keep my eyes open and see what over varieties
I might find. Although, if the ingredients lists just say "raisins"
that's not going to help much.

> On the other hand, orange muscats make killer wie as grapes, I can only
> imagine how the raisins would turn out ;-)

Okay. Maybe I can practice with what I can find here, first. Of
course, as in period, the raisins should be easier to ship or bring
home with me than the grapes themselves.

Hmmm. I was given some fresh cranberries at Pennsic last year. I
wonder if you can make wine from cranberry juice? I guess I could
try that using some of the frozen stuff.

Stefan