[Sca-cooks] Elderberry Wine Cheese, was Alkanet, was chicken plucking

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 15 12:34:55 PST 2002

Olwen the Odd wrote:
>  >I was looking at some English elderberry wine flavored cheese today...
>
>  >Anahita
>
>Man this sounds wonderful.  I want some!  Wonder if I can order it?

I didn't buy it, as i had already picked up small wedges of Cotswold
(Double Gloucester with onions and chives) at $10.99 per lb and
Huntsman (Double Gloucester and Stilton) at $12.99 per lb (and i
bought WAAAAY less than a pound of each).

The brand was Clawson, distributed by Somerdale International Ltd,
Somerdale House, 24 Billet Street, Taunton, Somerset, England TA1 3NG
- that's on the label on my Cotswold and my Huntsman and i seem to
recall the elderberry had the same label...

It was at a local San Francisco Bay Area market chain (there are
about 8 of them) called Andronico's - basic processed foods cost more
than at the big chains, but i never buy that crap anyway, and they
carry higher quality produce and higher quality just about anything
else.

We have a number of specialty cheese shops and gourmet shops (locally
owned, some over 100 years old - which is old for a family business
in the US) that carry good cheese. I imagine that plenty of other
grocers/gourmet shops around the US carry this...

(insert time lapse photography of sun rising and passing across the
roof of the sky, with clouds rushing past)

OK, so i was surfing the web and sure as shootin' there are all sorts
of on-line gourmet cheese shops. Dunno if they carry the same brand,
but you can definitely find this stuff - looks like you usually have
to buy a whole pound...

Anahita