[Sca-cooks] Sarah's dyed Eggs

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Jan 18 23:12:56 PST 2002

About a month back, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa wrote:

>Remember way back this spring when I was looking for information on
>Natural egg dyes for Sarah bas Mordechai, for the dayboard to be held at
>EK crown tourney? The eggs turned out beautifully, and someone did take a
>picture of one of the flats for us, so I finally got around to making a
>web page with the info. Here 'tis, if you ever have any need of it:
>http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/jadwiga/A&S/dyedeggs.html
>
>-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
>jenne at fiedlerfamily.net OR jenne at tulgey.browser.net OR jahb at lehigh.edu

Neat. You ponted out that you didn't have much luck with boiled
greens to get a green dye. Would it work, if you ever do this again,
to boil the eggs, then mash fresh greens with a little water in a
mortar, strain, then color the eggs with that liquid, unboiled? I
have had good luck using mashed parsley or other greens as a food
coloring mixed into things like custards. I don't know how well it
would stick on eggs, or how long it would stay green. I expect it
might come off on people's fingers.

Elizabeth /Betty Cook