[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1298 - 17 msgs

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Mon Jan 21 05:58:55 PST 2002

Well, yes and no ... ;-)

The camera obscura was known and used in the middle ages [and there seems to
be some discussion on use in imperial rome as well, but the jury is still
out on that one and it seems to only be in a small number of wall
decorations]

What it  is is the sort of medieval version of a pinhole camera. [gee where
DO we get the term 'camera ...] When you have a pretty dark room, with only
a realllly tiny pinhole you actually DO get an upside down image that is
sort of visible on a wall or canvas. The artist would simply sketch over the
image and use that as the preliminary outline for his/her work. So you do
get a projected image onto a surface that does end up with the image on it
in a medium other than a silver based crystal in a gel base... you get it in
linseed oil and minerals ;-)

margali
[maker of several pinhole cameras in her checquered past ;-)]

the quote starts here:
> I think that goes with my story of the kingdom that once awarded a
> Laurel for photography.

Well, truth to tell it can be argued that glass lens are period, as are
"cameras" ...yet not in combination and of course you can forget about film
entirely.. ;-?

Daniel Raoul