[Sca-cooks] Tardpolane (was: Yoicks!)

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Jan 20 23:08:18 PST 2002

About a month ago, Adamantius wrote:

>Hey, you forgot tardpolane. (For the linguists out there, could this be
>a Polish tart in Anglo-Norman French? It's in one of the Anglo-Norman
>Culinary Manuscripts.) This is a custardy/cheesy cheesecake with a nifty
>almond-milk pastry and the Usual Cuskynole Filling Suspects
>(figsdatesapplespearsalmondsetc.) mixed into a fairly standard cheese,
>egg, liquid filling. What intrigues me is the fact that the pastry
>suggests a fish day dish, while the filling is clearly fulla eggs and
>dairy. Could it simply be that it tastes yummers this way?

and I can't find anyone responding to that point.

I think you are confusing ordinary fish days and fish days in Lent.
Egg and dairy would be legal for the former, not for the latter. I
don't know  whole lot about what would have gone into a meat-day
pastry--"coffins of fair paste" or the like doesn't tell you much,
and you don't usully get more detail than that--but lard or meat
broth would, of course, not be legal for either kind of fish day.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook