[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1291/Apple & Onion soup

Lynn Remeika rohanna1 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 21 05:55:16 PST 2002

I want to apologize for the delay in posting this recipe - I got laid off
from my job of 12 1/2 years, and then my dearest love gave me his
respiratory infection.  ;-(

This was not the most shining of weekends...  but here is the recipe"

Hot Apple Soup

1 Tbs. butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 qt. chicken stock
2 large green apples, cored, peeled, & chopped
Three Quarters tsp. curry powder (or to taste)
juice of one half large lemon
3 Tbs. butter
One quarter cup all purpose flour
One half cup light cream

Melt one Tbs. butter in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion and
saute until soft but not brown. Stir in stock, apples, curry powder, and
lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat & let simmer for about 10
minutes. Melt remaining butter in another large saucepan over medium heat
until foam subsides. Blend in flour and cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring
constantly, then gradually stir in soup until well blended. When mixture
reaches boiling point, remove from heat. Strain into first saucepan,
pressing apple & onion with back of spoon. Stir in cream. Cook just until
heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings.

I made this two ways - the firt I left the apple and onion bits in the soup,
(couldn't locate my strainer and was running late for the Guild meeting) and
at the 2nd trial I pressed them out, then pureed them and mixed them back
into the soup, as I felt the resulting soup was too thin for a dayboard
soup.

Consensus from the Cooks Guild was to leave them most of them in, pureeing
only a small portion to enrich the soup.  If you let it sit for awhile, you
may need to add more lemon juice - depends on your taste for tangy.

This is NOT a period recipe (well, D'uh, Ro!), but is supposedly an
adaptation of an old German recipe my 'Grandma on the Rockey Road' got from
a neighboring farm wife in the late 30's.

I do know my Mom makes it with the curry powder, and that the addition of
curry powder in the handwritten recipe my Mom has is in a different hand
than the rest of the recipe.

What I do know is that it is a great soup for cold days, and that thickening
the soup a bit more turns it into a nice sauce for poultry!

Enjoy!

Ro
Nright Hills Cooks Guild, Atlantia