[Sca-cooks] OT-Pets

upsxdls_osu at ionet.net upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Mon Jan 21 06:43:16 PST 2002

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 16:25:35 -0800 (PST) Phlip wrote:
> I can hope that my few words might
> encourage someone else to take on an any old kinda dog
> (or cat, for that matter), because, while he or she
> will never be another Stubbe, every critter out there
> can be a very special friend, and I think we all need
> that, just as many of them need us and our love and
> care.

Whenever I have been able to, I have had four-legged friends in my life. I tend
to attract strays. Sometimes, they were the only "people" I knew loved me, and
not just because I filled their food and water dishes. Sometimes they were my
only reason for getting out of bed in the morning. Now I'm living in an
apartment - They want $300 non-refundable for a pet deposit. I miss my Poppy,
but I found a loving couple to care for her.  Cinnamon Toast, my red-heeler mix
dog, went to my ex's in the country.  I worried about him, because he was a one-
woman dog.  My ex said he had to get into his face and tell him he was going to
get hurt if he snapped at him again. They have reached an agreement.  Perhaps
an uneasy truce, but at least I know he's loved and cared for.

Both my pets were on their way to the animal shelter.  In a way, I saved their
lives. It was almost as hurtful and having to adopt out children. I had to
laugh at some of the other folks' descriptions of "pet food." (OFC) Poppy was
fed the cheapest cat food I could find, and Toast made do with Purina Dog Chow.
Of course, Poppy ate meat leftovers from my plate, and occasionally Toast's dry
food was moistened with leftover broth. Or gravy.  And I always saved the meat
scraps.  Darn, I need to get to work and quit thinking about this.

Liadan