[Sca-cooks] beating eggs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jan 23 00:15:42 PST 2002

I was going through some back digests and saw this in a message that
Lainie posted on Jan 5:

> I'll never forget, a couple years ago, we made the 'White Torta' for
> dessert in camp. Something like a dozen egg whites had to become fluffy.
> We passed it around the camp- a stranger walking by would find someone
> saying 'Here! Beat this a bit!' And the torta was truly deliciouso! Wow!
> But I'm not sure we'll do that one in camp again... ;-)

I assume that the amount of time to whip/beat eggs is proportional to
the number of eggs more or less. I think I was whipping eggs to
make "snow" to use with some wafers. It certainly seemed like I
had whipped them enough, but maybe I didn't. I think the redaction
said whip until stiff. Any one have some estimates for X amount of
eggs how long it should take to get to various stages?

I think the main problem when I did the snow was probably that I
got the whites contaminated with some egg yolks, but this other
knowledge might be useful for a number of things.

How much differance does it make to use a whisk instead of a spoon?
Or one of the handcrank egg-beaters?

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net