[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1310 - 16 msgs

Laurene Wells tinyzoo at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 09:56:35 PST 2002

Sounds like French Toast to me.

Mmmmm....

-Laurene

Message: 1
From: lilinah at earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:18:09 -0800
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Payn pur-dew

I've been going over some of the various Pain Perdu recipes, since
i'll probably be cooking my non-period version at Estrella.

I was looking over an early one, and found an odd word and wondered
if someone here could think of a good modern replacement...

ORIGINAL
Harleian Ms. 279, c. 1430
xliij. Payn pur-dew.
Take fayre yolkys of Eyroun, & trye hem from the whyte, & draw hem
thorw
a straynoure, & take Salt and caste ther-to; than take fayre brede, &
kytte it as troundey rounde; than take fayre Boter that is claryfiyd,
or
ellys fayre Freysshe grece, & putte it on a potte, & make it hote; than
take & wete wyl thin troundey in the yolkys, & putte hem in the panne,
an
so frye hem vppe; but ware of cleuyng to the panne; & whan it is fryid,
ley hem on a dysshe, & ley Sugre ynowe ther-on, & thanne serue it
forht.

MY MODERNIZATION
Take fair yolks of Eggs and separate them from the white and draw them
through
a strainer, and take Salt and cast there-to; then take fair bread, and
cut it as [troundey] round; then take fair Butter that is clarified, or
else fair Fresh grease, and put it in a pot, and make it hot; then
take & wet well the [troundy] in the yolks, and put them in the pan,
and
so fry them up; but beware of cleaving/sticking to the pan; and when
it is fried,
lay them on a dish, and lay Sugar enough there-on, and then serve it
forth.

The word is in brackets, "troundey". Does it mean "slices"?

Thanks for a clue,
Anahita