Library question was Re: [Sca-cooks] book you wanted--

Terri Spencer taracook at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 17:31:32 PST 2002

Hello Huette,

I came across your informative post to the Cooks list, and was
surprised to find Florida State Univ. listed among more prominent
schools with 3 different copies of this source.  I am an FSU alumni,
Hotel & Restaurant and Music schools, but sadly did not find the SCA or
take advantage of those resources while at school (though I was a
Madrigal Singer and my HRA dinner project had a medieval theme - using
modern recipes but what I now know are mostly period foods.  Go
figure.)

Since I joined the SCA, I have raided the FSU music library for early
music, but never really considered the HRA library - it was so tiny.
Your post has made me rethink this.  However, I know from previous
raids that I need a plan, and even better, a contact.  Is there any way
to use your resources to see what pre-1625 sources, or books about
them, the FSU library has?  Does it specify which library the works are
in (HRA vs. general FSU library)?  Is there a contact to pre-arrange
viewing and/or copying of restricted works?  I now live in another
state, so my visit will have to be on a weekend, when many services are
not offered.

Is this RLIN resource available to most public library reference desks?
   I have found the reference folks at my local county library very
helpful, but I have to tell them what I want to ILL - title, author,
ISBN, etc.  I know there is more out there that I don't know about -
maybe even here in Atlanta, since Emory Univ. also appears on your
list.  How could I get access to RLIN or similar services?

Many thanks,

Tara
Who has often wished the SCA had a members-only server with
subscriptions to services like this to facilitate research.