[Sca-cooks] plant catalogs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jan 24 20:59:29 PST 2002

Anahita asked:
> Are skirrets still available? I don't mean so much at the grocer's,
> as i doubt one can find them there, but from a seed catalog or some
> similar place, so that one can grow them oneself?
>
> The new place i'm moving into has a moderate sized back yard and the
> owners may be amenable to me planting a thing or two, unlike my
> previous land lord.

I don't know specifically about whether skirrets are available or
not, but you might want to take a look through this file and maybe
others in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section in the Florilegium:
seeds-msg         (60K) 12/27/00    Sources for period plants and seeds.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/seeds-msg.html

Here are some others that might be of interest:
A-Mazng-Herbs-art  (5K)  8/31/01    "A-Mazing-Herbs" by Countess Tessa
                                       of the Gardens, OP.
gardening-bks-bib  (3K)  5/25/01    Various gardening bibliographies. Reviews.
gardening-msg     (17K)  2/29/00    Period and modern gardening techniques.
Herbs-Sm-Grdn-art (32K) 10/10/01    "Medieval Herbs for the Very Small Garden"
                                       by Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
Palladius-art     (41K) 11/18/99    Palladius' treatise on gardening 1420.
Pattrn-gardns-art (12K) 10/13/00    "Parterres and the Jardins Potager in the
                                       Current Middle Ages" by Akim Yaroslavich.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net