Library question was Re: [Sca-cooks] book you wanted--

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jan 25 06:03:39 PST 2002

> Since I joined the SCA, I have raided the FSU music library for early
> music, but never really considered the HRA library - it was so tiny.
> Your post has made me rethink this.  However, I know from previous
> raids that I need a plan, and even better, a contact.  Is there any way
> to use your resources to see what pre-1625 sources, or books about
> them, the FSU library has?  Does it specify which library the works are
> in (HRA vs. general FSU library)?  Is there a contact to pre-arrange
> viewing and/or copying of restricted works?  I now live in another
> state, so my visit will have to be on a weekend, when many services are
> not offered.

The first thing to do is check their catalog, which is accessible from the
FSU libraries web page:
http://www.fsu.edu/~library/
(you have to click on the 'Databases' link on the left.

Then, send an email asking for help through their electronic reference
service, which is at:
http://www.fsu.edu/~library/forms/reference.html
Do mention that you are an alum and that you have used the music library.
DO carefully craft the message: you want to sound interested and grateful.
(Librarians are serious suckers for moderate grovelling and serious
interest in researching a subject.)
Something like: "I wonder if you could help me with a question about the
library holdings. As an FSU alum I was thrilled to find that the FSU
libraries have some material relevant to my interest in historical
cooking. I would like to look at (list items) but can only come in on a
weekend. Is there some way this can be arranged?"

> Is this RLIN resource available to most public library reference desks?
>    I have found the reference folks at my local county library very
> helpful, but I have to tell them what I want to ILL - title, author,
> ISBN, etc.  I know there is more out there that I don't know about -
> maybe even here in Atlanta, since Emory Univ. also appears on your
> list.  How could I get access to RLIN or similar services?

Most public libraries will not have access to RLIN but many have access to
OCLC, and possibly to the easily searchable interface to OCLC, WorldCat.
You can search OCLC's ILL/catalogin system by keywords but it's a bit
complex to do.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa