[Sca-cooks] Cooking on one stove, was Check out Sabrina_Welserin.html

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 24 22:32:20 PST 2002

Philippa Alderton wrote:
>  Anyone in the MK want to help on this one? We'll be
>  feeding 120 people with one stove, if I can pull it
>  off. I LIKE a challenge ;-D

And Sue Clemenger answered:
>  Ooooh....I've _done_ that, and it's comletely crazy-making.
>  Definitely helps if you have those kewl plug-in roasters,
>  crockpots, and some powerful camp stoves out on the
>  kitchen porch <g>.

You mean people actually have access to kitchens with more than one stove? Wow!

I have cooked for 80, 90, and 100 on one stove. And since i'm
relatively new (getting a bit tarnished by now, though), i don't have
a household or tons of friends to prep and/or pre-cook before getting
to the feast hall. The time i cooked for 100, i did manage to make
most of the stuff ahead of time by myself and i was couch surfing and
didn't have a kitchen at all. I used three different kitchens, so,
yes, i'm not friendless, but i just don't have one of those built-in
kitchen crews some folks seem to have. I made the "stew" and the
fried bananas at the feast and cooked the rice in borrowed rice
cookers.

I cook most of my grains in rice cookers, since boiling big pots of
water takes a while. That saves some stove space.

Anahita
who is planning to get a fuzzy logic rice cooker this year that'll
cook 10 cups of all sorts of stuff