[Sca-cooks] feast chairs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jan 24 22:45:39 PST 2002

niccolo difrancesco said:
> 'round these parts (Eastern Meridies), two hours starts getting to be long for people's interest and attention span.  The entertainment may add some interest, but you'll most likely lose folks' attention after two hours or so . . . . three is a long time to sit on a hard, backless bench if nothing else. <

Hard, backless benches???

Is this common in your area?

I don't think I've ever sat on such an item at an SCA feast except
perhaps at Pennsic or some other camping event.

Around here if the site provides chairs they are usually the folding
metal kind or the stacking one out of molded plastic with metal legs.

For an outside event, folks usually end up bring their own tables
and chairs, which are often the wooden "directors" chairs or those
made of wood.

While certainly period, especially for the lower classes, I'm not
sure that using backless benches would go over well here, at all.
Modern life has softened me such, that I don't think I would find
sitting on a backless bench comfortable for two or three hours. Of
course, sitting on the ground would be even worse for me.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net