[Sca-cooks] Chinese eggs

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 11:39:19 PST 2002

Hi All!

To add to the confusion, I believe the black, gellatianous preserved eggs
are indeed called 1,000 year old eggs (at least this is what my exhusband
told me and he was from Hong Kong).  The other eggs that are put in tea/soy
are called stewed eggs, as far as I've been told and have seen in
restuarants.

1,000 old eggs are buried while the later are cooked/boiled in the soy/tea
infusion.  1,000 eggs are an absolute aquirred taste and one needs to get
over the fact that these are alien looking and rather scary to look at.  My
ex used to dare his friends to try to eat it, which most never took him on
(this, along with a black seasame jello roll like item which is also on of
those things you learn to like).

--Arte