[Sca-cooks] Playing with my food again- OOP

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 19:09:47 PST 2002

Last couple of nights, I've been making a couple of
meals to suit my tastes of the moment, and available
ingredients, and I came up with a couple of winners,
so I thought I'd share them ;-)

A couple of weeks ago, I had mentioned in passing to
Margali that a recent experience had reminded me that
I enjoyed the standard canned fruit cocktail
occasionally, so she semi-jokingly brought me home a
jar of the yuppie version- mango, pineapple and papaya
in an unsugared juice. Last night, I got the hungries
for sweet and meat, and concocted the following.

1 lb of lean hamburger
1 small onion
1 qt jar of fruit
1/2 red habenero pepper, seeded and minced
Cinnamon, to taste

Brown the burger, then add onion and sweat down to
soft- add fruit, hot pepper, and cinnamon. Heat
through, until fruit is tender. Serve over rice.

It was very good, and reheated well for lunch this
afternoon. There was enough other stuff that the
specific flavor of the habenero could come through
without being lost to the excessive heat normally
generated by them.

My second experiment was tonight's dinner. The other
day, I gave my usual recipe for pork chops, cabbage
and turnips- turned out I was out of turnips, so I
subbed in some parsnips, which I did have. Works just
as well, and the individual flavors come through,
while making a cold-day, stomach-comforting blend.

Just a couple of thoughts, if anybody might like to
try something a bit different.....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,