[Sca-cooks] QUICK STEAMED BUN QUESTION

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Tue Jan 29 05:41:30 PST 2002

I am near dead to try Master  Chirhart's
  _Bean Paste Steamed bun_ recipe and hopefully today will be the day! One
question 'tho....  When you say to steam them, you *do* mean over a wire rack
so that the moist steam can get to the buns...Yes?  At last minute I was also
thinking that one could put the buns in the top of a double boiler and "dry"
steam them......
Just checking, then, to be sure.
Thanks a lot!
Phillipa

BEAN PASTE  STEAMED BUNS

Filling:8 -oz. can red bean paste

1    tsp, yeast
1/4 C    warm water
1    T    sugar
½   C    each warm, milk, water
4    C    flour

Mix yeast and 1/4 C water,sugar ,a couple tablespoons flour.
Let proof

Mix the rest of the flour in a bowl with the milk ,water & proofed yeast.
Mix well. (by hand or wooden spoon)

Turn out onto floured surface kneed till elastic (add flour if it is too
sticky)

After ten to fifteen min. Form into ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl.
Let rise in a warm spot for an hour and a half.

When risen punch down and let rise again for the same amount of time.
Then take dough and knead for five or so min.

Roll out and cut into uniform parts you should get at least 24 parts.
Take dough and form into flat rounds.
Add tablespoonful of bean paste to center and fold into a ball.
Set on wax paper till all are made.
Then put them in your steam racks (or what you use to steam with)
Let rise -leave space between each for rising.
Steam covered 15 to 20 min.
chirhart