[Sca-cooks] Re: candle wicks

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jan 31 00:21:12 PST 2002

Annan commented:
> stefan at texas.net writes:
> > I wonder why a "double-wicked" candle?
>
> One possibility is that early candle wicks and fuels contained impurities
> that would clog the wick and reduce the flame size.  That's why you needed a
> candle snuffer to trim your wick, they sorta look like applique scissors.

Correct. If I remember correctly, the braided wick which solved the
problem of constantly having to trim the wick was invented very late
in period.

See this file in the HOME, SWEET HOME section for more details:
candles-msg       (83K) 10/ 8/01    Candle snuffers, making candles, wax, tallow
http://www.florilegium.org/files/HOME/candles-msg.html

However, why would a double wicked candle be specified in this recipe?
If the double wick solved this, why wouldn't that be the standard
method used in all candles? I don't think this means a wick out of
each end of a candle, either. I think all candles were still dipped
at this point, so I doubt it means a 'U' shaped candle, either.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net