[Sca-cooks] Lynx

Weems, Lora Lora.Weems at ssa.gov
Thu Jan 31 10:23:23 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach said:

Someone pointed out to me in private that it was "sick" to eat lynx, as it
is an endangered species.  I should point out that I only cooked and ate
"legal" animals.

The trapping of these animals is regulated, not forbidden.  The population
of lynx in Northern Ontario fluctuates.  It actually goes hand in hand with
the hare population.  Each year trappers are allowed a quota of lynx to
catch.  The year I worked up North each trapper was allowed 5.

I hope that clears any misunderstanding...
***
Well, I've never eaten Lynx, but I have eaten puma, aka cougar,
mountain lion, catamount, panther.  It is very good, and tender.

Down here in Texas, mountain lions are still considered "varmints" -
there is NO closed season, you don't need a special license
(just the general hunting license, as for rabbits and squirrels.)
The Department of Wildlife ASKS (does not _require_, they just ask)
that you report when & where taken, sex, approx. age.

These cats are as close to the Dallas/Ft Worth Metromess as
Mineral Wells State Park - less than an hour drive from Downtown
Ft Worth.

We have covered this in the list before - what is ambrosia, usual
or 'special treat' food to one person, is 'sick' to another.
Like dog meat.

Leofwynn, opening up another can of worms...