[Sca-cooks] Lynx and "endangered" species

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 12:01:46 PST 2002

OK, folks, let's chill out a bit, and try to
understand each other better.

There are quite a few species out there, in different
areas of the world, and one which may be uncommon in
one area, and thus protected in that area, may be
common enough in another area to qualify as a pest, at
least in the minds of the residents of that area.
Furthermore, some subspecies of a particular species
might be endangered, but the species itself might be
quite healthy. And just to complicate things, people
in different cultures and areas differ on what should
be done regarding any of them.

Please try to understand that what might be true in
your area is not necessarily true in other areas. As
an example- in my area of SE Ohio, whitetail deer are
so common as to be a menace to crops and drivers- in
fact we have 2 and 3 deer limits, with no antler
proviso. In that area, I might not notice if someone
were to poach a deer to put on their supper table.
OTOH, Key deer are a very endangered species- in fact,
last I heard, there has been some question as to
whether there is enough breeding stock left for them
to replenish themselves. If someone were to threaten
one of them, I'd likely do whatever was necessary to
protect the animal(s).

And, buffalo. They are finally coming back due to,
among other things, commercial breeding programs.
Would I have gone after a nice buffalo steak while
they were endangered? Of course not, unless the animal
had been killed in an accident. But now, when they're
grown commercially, specificly as a food item?
Certainly- in fact, I know where I can get them live,
if I wanted to raise my own.

The reason there are so many deer in my area is that
we removed all of their natural predators because we
felt they threatened our crops and livestock. To this
day, I can introduce you to farmers who will shoot any
hawk on sight because they honestly believe that they
are a threat to both livestock and human children.

But, fortunately we are learning that nature is a
balance, and we're trying in our poor, fumbling human
way to rectify the balance, although in the meantime
our results are spotty, at best.

Phlip, believing that to err is quite human-
fortunately creation is STILL in the hands of the divine....

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,