[Sca-cooks] Re: green ginger upon sirop

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jan 1 08:16:51 PST 2002

> I think the green ginger in question is a very fresh ginger, i.e. just dug
> out of the ground.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that ginger was
> grown in England at some point, but it's fuzzy.  There is a recipe for green
> ginger comfit in the "Llibre de totes maneres de confits" that calls for
> soaking the ginger in an acidic mixture for an entire year.  Sheesh!

Various writers have claimed that the term 'green ginger' was used in
period in the same way that certain cuisines use it today, to mean very
fresh ginger, but since there are definitely recipes for 'green ginger'
involving pickling or otherwise processing plain 'white' ginger (I think
you would use the dried-out 'white' ginger roots you can buy in herb shops
for this), I would suggest that in period 'green ginger' was a ginger
preparation.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa