[Sca-cooks] Re: Presentation of food at feasts

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Tue Jan 1 15:53:31 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach said something like:
>>Has anyone ever done any investigating re:
>>period food flourishes? That'd be _really_ interesting and helpful to
>>know, as well as any period-compatible modern stuff.
>
>Saddly, I haven't done any research in that area.  I'd love to hear of
>anyone who has though.  Had I more free time, I could start exploring that
>topic.  I think it would be very highly interesting.
>
>I have a few modern and semi-modern thoughts though.  :-)
>
>Gorgeous Muiredach
>Rokkehealden Shire
>Middle Kingdom
>aka
>Nicolas Steenhout
>"You must deal with me as I think of myself" J. Hockenberry

There are a couple of members of the Calafian Cook's Guild that have looked
into what it was they did in period to give a little extra sparkle to
presentations.

There are two wonderful books that have detailed descriptions of the
'flourishes' done by the cooks in period, clear down to a stunning
description of the carving of a haunch of venison? beef? by the head cook
at head table. The books are "The Stars Dispose" and "The Stars Compel" by
Michaela Roessner.  She does give references at the end of the book. Such
as Maggie Black, MFK Fisher, Lorenza diMedici, Reay Tannenhill, Margaret
Visser, a book called Much Depends on Dinner, and Rituals of Dinner.  There
are even several recipes given in the book.

The other resource they've looked at is a period book, that they got a look
at via the interlibrary loan system, titled "The Book of Carving" by Winken
Worde.

Happy researching!
Maggie MacD.