[Sca-cooks] Vegetarians

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Tue Jan 1 19:11:14 PST 2002

> lentils. I was aware that observant or semi-observant Jews generally don't
> eat even kosher food that has been touched by food that is tref, but I
> wasn't aware that this was a problem with vegetarians. Is this common
> among vegetarians or was I sitting next to someone who was unusual?

That's not an uncommon attitude among the vegetarians I've known.  There
are greatly varying levels of strictness, as well as different
reasonings.  My husband will often simply eat around obvious chunks of
meat in a dish such as a soup.  Other people won't eat food that's
stored in the same refrigerator as meat.  Many will overlook an
accidental touching of food like you describe, but won't do something
like pick the pepperoni off a pizza.  Some claim an ethical aversion,
others squeamishness, others the strictness of their efforts.

-Magdalena