[Sca-cooks] Vegetarians

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 2 07:51:50 PST 2002

>Dumb but utterly not-intended-to-be-confrontational vegetarian question:
>I was seated at a feast with someone who wouldn't eat the lentil dish
>because it was served with the sausages touching part of the mound of
>lentils. I was aware that observant or semi-observant Jews generally don't
>eat even kosher food that has been touched by food that is tref, but I
>wasn't aware that this was a problem with vegetarians. Is this common
>among vegetarians or was I sitting next to someone who was unusual?
>
>I know that for people with allergy situations not having the food 'touch
>one another' is a good thing but it does make arranging platters difficult
>(I have noticed more people complaining that their food is not
>attractively arranged lately.)
>
>-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

I don't have an answer about the vegetarian in question.  My daughter is a
vegetarian but would not have a problem with a situation like that.  She
would have an opinion, but would not go hungry.  As for me, I do not like to
eat unattractive food.  I do not obsess over it, but am known to arrange and
garnish food in most situations.  Our cooks guild has taken seriously the
idea that food should be presented nicely.  Gardens are gleaned and extra
kale and fresh herbs are gotten.  Flowers in season are candied and put away
for events, we offer palate cleansers between courses.  A stageing area is
set up for the final garnishing and presentation before trays and bowls are
carried into the hall and distributed.  We usually have a "special"
presentation during each feast as well.
Olwen
Bright Hills Cooks Guild