[Sca-cooks] Re. Fire down below....

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Tue Jan 1 22:04:02 PST 2002

Alban,

There have been severe fires surrounding and within the township of
Silverdale (where the Tara Girl Guides camp we use for Rowany Festival is).
I personally am unaware if the camp grounds and buildings have been affected
by the fires.  Nothing has  so far been put across the lists about it.

Also Mari,  both Drake and I and all Politachopolis scadians are fine.
There has been no loss of life or homes in the Canberra regions (to the best
of my knowledge).  Canberra is a planned city with the suburban areas
separated from each other by "green" corridors.  The fires in Canberra have
swept through these corridors only - I believe.

Considering the intensity and number of fires that we have had in Australia
in the past week, it is astonishing that we have lost so little personal
property and so far NO loss of human life.  The natural flora and fauna have
not fared so well.  But it is well to remember that bushfires are indeed
part of the natural Australian ecology.  We have a number of plant species
that cannot reproduce without it.  They are specifically tailored towards
bushfires.

Its just a pity the animal life and the humans are not.

Hugs all

Meliora.

> How about the area around the girl guides' camp that's used for
> Rowany Festival? I know it's in the Blue Mountains area west of
> Sydney, and some papers up here have mentioned fires somewhere
> vaguely in that area?

This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain information
that is confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee named
above.  It may also be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient do
not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy or take any action in
reliance on it.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender immediately and delete this message.  Before opening any
attachments, check them for viruses or defects.