[Sca-cooks] Re. Fire down below....

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Tue Jan 1 21:47:47 PST 2002

>There have been severe fires surrounding and within the township of
>Silverdale (where the Tara Girl Guides camp we use for Rowany Festival is).
>I personally am unaware if the camp grounds and buildings have been affected
>by the fires.  Nothing has  so far been put across the lists about it.
Ouch. And here I'd been planning on coming on down for Festival. . . I'll
plan on bringing gasmasks, and extra antihistamines, then (being allergic
to woodsmoke. . . .)

>Considering the intensity and number of fires that we have had in Australia
>in the past week, it is astonishing that we have lost so little personal
>property and so far NO loss of human life.  The natural flora and fauna have
>not fared so well.  But it is well to remember that bushfires are indeed
>part of the natural Australian ecology.  We have a number of plant species
>that cannot reproduce without it.  They are specifically tailored towards
>bushfires.
You're just hitting high summer, right? More hot and dry weather, with
rains coming in several months in Autumn? (A guess, since I'm not _that_
familiar with your weather systems. I think I should start hitting the books. . . )

Alban (who's only a _little_ apologetic for asking about this on a cooks' list)