[Sca-cooks] Cooking with allergens- alert

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 08:41:22 PST 2002

OK, guys, I've seen your postings, as follows:

--- Mastercahankyle at cs.com wrote:
 I, for one, have anaphilactic
> reaction to crustaceans
> > (lobster, crab, scampi, shrimp, etc).  Funny
> enough, I can handle and cook
> > it, but not ingest it.

> I can understand, I have a deathly allergy to
> mushrooms. IfI eat a mushroom,
> I can be dead within the hour. If I even eat
> anything that has been cooked in
> the same pan as mushrooms I get very sick.  This is
> a reason why I don't do
> many onboard feasts.
>
> The weird thing is I can cook with mushrooms (my
> mushroom pies I have been
> told are very good, but I have never been able to
> taste one) as long as I
> don't taste test and wash my hands after handling
> the mushrooms, I will be ok.

If you folks are that allergic to begin with, please
avoid the allergens as much as possible. An allergy
does not spring up full-blown from nothing- it is a
reaction your body has to particular substances which
becomes worse on every repeated contact- if they kill
you and make you sick if ingested now, more improper
exposure could bring you to the point where even being
in the same room with them could cause you serious
problems, If you're going to try desensitization, only
do that under a Drs care- informal desensitization
could make you worse -much worse.

Please, folks, as a Chirurgeon, I can tell you, we
like to be bored. I myself would prefer to spend my
shifts at Pennsic basking in the sun, people watching,
and chitchatting, than as I did one shift last year,
with watching one on IV, one lying down w/head injury,
another waiting to be seen for possible internal
injury, followed by an evening of relaxation at
Pentwyvern's Hell party, with 2 acute asthma attacks.
Can deal with it, but would rather not ;-(

Please avoid your allergens as much as possible- the
exposure you don't have today might just be the only
factor that lets you survive the anaphalactic shock
reaction tomorrow.

Phlip,
actually serious for a paragraph or two...