[Sca-cooks] Cooking with allergens- alert

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Wed Jan 2 12:53:05 PST 2002

>OK, what you're telling me here is that you have a
>very specific allergy to a very specific iodine
>compound, which is probably not present (or isn't
>present in threshold level quantities) in other
>shellfish such as oysters, but is in crustaceans. It
>likely is relatively safe for you to handle them

Ayup, 'xactly that :-)

>Please be aware that cutting your hands with bits of
>their shell, and immersing your hands in their juices.
>could trigger the allergy- it's unlikely to be as
>devastating as ingestion would, but could still cause
>you rashes and other unlovable symptoms, and would
>actually be worsening your base allergy. Ever hear of
>scratch tests? ;-)

Ohhh yeah, I've heard of scratch test, and have gone through many of them,
I just *hate* them :-)

I hear what you're saying.  As I said in a previous mail, I was pretty
thorough with a doctor.  One of the things we did work on at the time was
to see what would happen with these kinds of small cuts and skin punctures.

>Curiosity here- do you have the same reaction to
>freshwater crustaceans, such as crawdads?

That, I don't know.  I haven't eaten any since I started to get baddly sick
on the seagoing beasties.  And I'm not about to try now :-)

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Kingdom of the Middle
aka