[Sca-cooks] what are your thoughts on period style food?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 2 15:35:25 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:
>  >Ah, and did he have to walk 3 miles, all up hill, in the snow BOTH WAYS to
>  >and from work/school?  If he did, he must have gone to school where my real
>  >mom grew up.  I didn't realize brooklyn had all those hills! ;)
>
>Ahhh, Arte, I'd suspect not.  He comes from the South of France.  Not too
>much snow that way, though there *are* a few hills :-)

Not too much snow, but definitely snow in them thar hills. I lived in
Southern France (Provence) for a year and at some point early in the
year ?Feb? we went to my boyfriend's grandparents village (don't
recall the name). Enough snow. I wouldn't have wanted to be hiking in
the rugged hills in it.

And plenty of hills. For a few weeks i lived with some friends in a
ruined farm house out in the country. We hiked in and out to do
shopping at a village that wasn't too far away. Well, i was young and
in France, so it didn't seem too far. This was in the summer, so
walking over rugged hills covered with thyme and lavender was lovely
as was the very fresh cheese we bought in the village where it was
made. And, yeah, up and down hill passages both ways :-)

Of course, you had to shake out your shoes before you put them on to
make sure there weren't any scorpions hiding in them. One morning
there was one in mine, small and beige. It scuttled away quickly. I
didn't go looking for it.

Anahita