[Sca-cooks] re:what are your thoughts on period style food?

Barbara Nostrand nostrand at acm.org
Wed Jan 2 22:37:08 PST 2002

Noble Cousins!

Greetings from Solveig!

>>My chef at the time, who was an elderly gentleman (well,
>>gentle at time, ogre at others) was telling me that when *he* was
>>apprenticing, in the early 30's, they would cook bechamel for nearly >two
>>days!
>>
>>Ha!  Ain't it fun? :-)
>
>Ah, and did he have to walk 3 miles, all up hill, in the snow BOTH WAYS to
>and from work/school?  If he did, he must have gone to school where my real
>mom grew up.  I didn't realize brooklyn had all those hills! ;)

Actually, early twentieth century recipes have pretty much given way to
quick recipes. You can track these changes by comparing different editions
of the Fanny Farmer Boston School of Cooking Cook Book. Once with my
grandmother, I cooked a soup recipe out of my mother's copy of this text
which took over a day to make. That recipe is now long gone from recent
editions.

					Your Humble Servant
					Solveig Throndradotrir
					Amateur Scholar

| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM       |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est      |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu      |
| Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com  |
|                  vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com           |
|                  netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com  |
|                  com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net         |
|                  mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com      |
|		   techie.com, msn.com				      |