[Sca-cooks] Re: Name of the Rose

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 3 06:33:24 PST 2002

>I personally like the semi-subtle weaving of the theological tension
>betwee=
>n the Franciscans and the Benedictines regarding materialism in the
>Church.=
>   From the gruel eaten by the main characters to the argument of whether
>Je=
>sus owned his own tunic . . . classic duel of theological heavyweights of
>t=
>he time.

It's also fun to see how he bashes his enemies in "Name of the Rose".  Eco
had a long enmity with Jorge Luis Borges, and the character of Jorge de
Borges is based on him.  Old, blind, humorless, and deluded.  The library
also bears resemblance to one of Borges' creations.

And yes, "Foucault's Pendulum" is a shaggy dog story, same as "The Crying of
Lot 49" is a conspiracy novel.  Still good, though.

Vicente
(in his other incarnation as a lit geek)
If you get into a jam, you can always eat something, blow something up or
throw penguins. --Jim Henson