[Sca-cooks] Name of the Rose

bonneoftraquair at netscape.net bonneoftraquair at netscape.net
Sat Jan 26 20:31:47 PST 2002

>> >I believe Maire is referring tot he movie starring Sean Connery and
>> >Christian Slater based on a book of the same name be Umberto Eco.  It is
>> >basically a murder mystery set in medieval (umm I *think* 12th Century)
>> >Europe.  There are lots of wonderful subtexts regarding the way
>monasteries
>> >were run, religious attitudes of the time etc.

It sounded great so next stop at the library I got it. Drat! Within the first two pages are big chunks of latin, and some french a few pages on. Slows me up a bit. I either have to wait until the computer is free and go to one of those translation sites, or wait for my dear husband to come home and translate.  And,as is my habit, I glanced at the last sentence in the book (I'm weird), more latin.  I'm going to tell him to read it first, and leave me post it note translations where necessary.  Imagine getting all the way through this and not being able to read the 'punchline'.

>> I feel the book is much more than a murder mystery.  the subtext goes very
>> deeply into philosophy, theology, the history of religion, and the
>> religious attitudes etc.  Ecco tends to write "heavy".  Pretty awesome
>> writer though. :-)

Heavy, yeah.  Brother Cadfael this ain't.  Maybe I should just rent the movie.

Bonne