[Sca-cooks] Name of the Rose

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at admin.is.cornell.edu
Mon Jan 28 08:50:40 PST 2002

>>It sounded great so next stop at the library I got it. Drat! Within the first two pages are big chunks of latin, and some french a few pages on. Slows me up a bit. I either have to wait until the computer is free and go to one of those translation sites, or wait for my dear husband to come home and translate.  And,as is my habit, I glanced at the last sentence in the book (I'm weird), more latin.  I'm going to tell him to read it first, and leave me post it note translations where necessary.  Imagine getting all the way through this and not being able to read the 'punchline'.<<

     There is a book by Adele Haft called "The Key to The Name of the Rose" (Harrington Park, NJ: Ampersand Associates, 1987) that has translations for all the non-English passages.  There may be other things in there (I'm at work, the book is at home, and I haven't looked at it lately), at least a bibliography.  You may be able to find a used copy at bookfinder.com (searches multiple sites).  Or use interlibrary loan - I know Cornell has a copy!  :-)

>Heavy, yeah.  Brother Cadfael this ain't.  Maybe I should just rent the movie.
>
>Bonne

    And read "The Library of Babel" by Jorge Luis Borges.  :-)

Sandra Kisner
sjk3 at cornell.edu