[Sca-cooks] Specific recipe questions for bid

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Jan 3 14:18:50 PST 2002

In a message dated 1/1/2002 7:32:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
skud at infotrope.net writes:

Putting in the original recipe again for reference:

Bukkenade - Take Henn or Conyng or Veel or other Flessh and hewe hem to
gobetts waisshe it and hit well grynde Almand unblanched and drawe hem up
with broth.  cast therein raysons of Corance, sugar, Powder gynger erbes
ystewed in grees, Oynons and salt.  If it is to thynne, alye it up with flour
of ryse or with other thyng and color it with Safron.

I said:
> >What I need to know is are we talking what we commonly call herbs, such as
> dill,
> > rosemary, thyme, parsley, etc (and which ones people recommend) or
> potherbs
> > or greens like spinach or turnip greens, which I have also seen referred
> > as "herbs" in recipes (albeit later period ones, mostly)?

Lady Katherine answered:

> Almost certainly the latter, in my experience.

Really??  I have almost never seen any vegetable other than onions in any
stew or soup-like recipe from this early - as a reminder, the recipe is from
Forme of Cury, which is from 1390.  I've seen herbs added to soups/stews,
although never any that called for stewing herbs in grease before adding
them.  There is one file in the references from the Florilegium that Stefan
gave me that used the same technigue, but specifically with what we would
call an herb - marjoram, I believe - but that was from a much later source,
as I recall.  Could you point me to other sources where I could find similar
recipes for comparison?  I'd really appreciate it.

Brangwayna