[Sca-cooks] Following a recipe...

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Jan 5 13:56:09 PST 2002

>When I read an expression such as slavishly following a recipe, I am
>reminded of my aunt, who will read a recipe and refer to it every single
>step of the way.  She trusts the recipe implicetely, and when it says cook
>the meat for 3 minutes on one side, and 3 minutes on the other, that's what
>she does, timer in hand!

>Gorgeous Muiredach

But the question came up, I believe, in the context of medieval
recipes. You can't follow a medieval recipe slavishly in the sense
you describe because it doesn't say how many minutes to cook anything.

So when I see someone make comments about not wanting to slavishly
follow period recipes, I assume that either he means:

He wants to change the things that are in the recipe--or, more
likely, invent his own recipes, or ...

He hasn't actually cooked from period recipes, hence doesn't realize
how sketchy they are.
--
David Friedman
Professor of Law