[Sca-cooks] Following a recipe...

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Sat Jan 5 17:31:47 PST 2002

At 03:56 PM 1/5/2002, you wrote:
>>When I read an expression such as slavishly following a recipe, I am
>>reminded of my aunt, who will read a recipe and refer to it every single
>>step of the way.  She trusts the recipe implicetely, and when it says cook
>>the meat for 3 minutes on one side, and 3 minutes on the other, that's what
>>she does, timer in hand!
>

>>Gorgeous Muiredach
>
>But the question came up, I believe, in the context of medieval
>recipes. You can't follow a medieval recipe slavishly in the sense
>you describe because it doesn't say how many minutes to cook anything.
>
>So when I see someone make comments about not wanting to slavishly
>follow period recipes, I assume that either he means:
>
>He wants to change the things that are in the recipe--or, more
>likely, invent his own recipes, or ...
>
>He hasn't actually cooked from period recipes, hence doesn't realize
>how sketchy they are.

Oh! yes, right, of course.

Here I am, sending to the list the draft of a thought, and a professor of
law goes right in the hole of my explanation!  LOL...

I was using that as the starting point to explain what it means to me to
follow a recipe.  Then throwing the idea out that we should discuss what
following a recipe is.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom