[Sca-cooks] Viking Cookbook?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 5 15:53:18 PST 2002

While there may be a "Viking Cookbook" around, it is not going to have
Viking recipes.  Other than some descriptions of food and feasts from the
sagas and some archeological studies, there isn't much on Viking dishes and
dining practices.  Certainly, nothing with recipes.

The earliest Scandinavian cookbook is Kogebog, a Danish text from 1616, well
after the Viking period.  You can find a copy webbed here:
http://www.notaker.com/onlitxts/kogebog.htm

The Harpestreng cookbook, the earliest known Western European recipe
collection, was originally written in French and translated into Danish in
the late 13th Century, is agian, well past the Viking age.  It is webbed at:
http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/harp-kkr.htm

Bear