[Sca-cooks] Viking Cookbook?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Jan 6 11:24:09 PST 2002

Greetings to the list:

I took a few minutes and ran Viking and
Cookbook through OCLC to see if there was
actually something catalogued by this title
that was held by the libraries that make up
the OCLC network.
These showed up under title and keyword:
Previous ed. published as: The Viking
way : a meditational cookbook for those who
dare to ride the hammer.
Responsibility: by Edmund Meadows.
(This is some sort of internet only site)

or
Arctic Viking Lodge 117, Sons of Norway,
Fairbanks, Alaska, 1977-1987, 10th anniversary
cookbook. Sons of Norway (U.S.).  1987
 224, viii p. : col. ill.

Neither are very helpful for the purposes of
"Viking" and cookery...

However, if you speak Danish, Norwegian or Swedish...

A better source might be:
 Ganens makt :  norsk kokekunst og matkultur gjennom tusen år /
by  Henry Notaker
IN  Norwegian  Book/Text 333 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Oslo : Aschehoug, 1993. ISBN: 8203260098
 LCCN: 94-219722
The subject headings are:Gastronomy -- History.;
Cookery, Norwegian -- History;Food habits -- Norway -- History.
Note(s):Includes bibliographical references (p. 311-[322]) and indexes.

Henry Notaker has a website at: http://www.notaker.com/old_cbks.htm

Or
Til taffel hos Kong Valdemar :
Europas aeldste kogebog efter to middelalderhåndskrifter fra
1300tallet / by  Hans Veirup;  Mads Stage
2. oplag. IN Danish  Book/Text 123 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Herning : Systime, 1993. ISBN: 8777833945
The subject headings are: Cookery, Danish.;
Cookery -- Denmark -- History.
Note(s): Includes bibliographical references.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

Terry Decker replied:
While there may be a "Viking Cookbook" around,
it is not going to have Viking recipes.  Other
than some descriptions of food and feasts from
the sagas and some archeological studies, there
isn't much on Viking dishes and dining practices.
Certainly, nothing with recipes....snipped.....Bear

wendy slick wrote:> > Hello...